Thursday, March 31, 2011

What do you do when life hands you lemons? You make a Paleo salad dressing

Unfortunately, vinegar is not paleo. All yeast or fermented products are off the paleo which is odd because if you think about it, cave people didn't really have refrigeration and I would think all things would ferment over time. Well, what do I know! I wasn't there!! As we begin to approach spring (I think), salads become more and more popular. It's a great lunch item and easy to make and transport. People have always asked me what type of salad dressing they can use if they are eating paleo. I came up with this quick salad dressing that you can make in bulk and keep in a jar in your fridge for the week. This recipe using the lemon's acidity to replace the vinegar. I recommend using Meyer's lemons( I can write an entire blog on the goodness of these lemons) if you can find them but regular lemons work just fine.

Get a measuring cup, I have a plastic 2 cup one or you can use a glass one, you just need something you can see through.Take the juice of two lemons (make sure you roll the lemons before you try and juice them, this will release the juice for the pulp). Two lemons should yield about a 1/2 cup of juice if the lemons are on the bigger side. Add 1/4 of a cup of flax oil and a 1/2 of cup of really good olive oil. Pour all these ingredients into a jar, add some fresh ground pepper and shake until everything is combined. You can add different dried or fresh herbs depending on your tastes. The sky is the limit! This will keep in your fridge for a week or so, just shake the jar before you use it as the lemon will separate from the oil. Add to your favorite salad and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment