Tuesday, March 22, 2011

It's Jerky Time!!!!!!

My newest kitchen item finally arrived! Meet the Excalibur Food Dehydrator....I am using it to make some grassfed beef jerky.



One of my biggest struggles is traveling for work while maintaining a paleo lifestyle. I always travel with a bag of Trader Joe's organic orignal beef jerky but unfortunately, its' not completely paleo as is has soy sauce in it. So a light went off and I said to myself, self....why not get a dehydrator and do it yourself???? So I did. I picked up a grassfed flank steak from Whole Foods this weekend and dry rubbed it with some onion power, garlic powder, cayanne pepper, paprika, and celtic salt. I sliced the flank steak across the grain and let the rub sit overnight in the fridge. I loaded the dehydrator today, turned the time to 6 hours and voila, jerky!


Ok, so first batch.. have some adjustments to make. I used way too much Cayenne Pepper and I cooked too long. I think maybe 4 hours might be the trick.

1 comment:

  1. That looks great Debbie, do you think you will sell it at the gym? I recently looked at the ingredients of Trader Joe's turkey jerky and realized it had sugar in it so I have been avoiding it. Great job with the new site!
    -Robin

    ReplyDelete