Thursday, April 7, 2011

Viva La Enchilada!!!

First I have to say that I love Mexican food but it's been a very, very long time since I have had it. I recently came across a recipe for chicken enchiladas, and I thought why not give it a try. The picture looked like a real enchilada, how bad can it be??? Well, they are real and they are good!!!! I made some changes to the recipe to make them a little easier but they are still time consuming so you will definitely need some time to put these together.

3 14.5 ounce cans of Trader Joe's Fire Roasted diced tomatoes with green chiles (this is the part I made easier) blended in a blender or food processor
1 onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 pounds of chicken breast or thighs ( I used chicken breast and about 2.5 pounds)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 egg whites (I used 10 egg whites)
1/3 cup of heavy cream

1/2 cup or less of shredded Organic Raw Sharp Cheddar Cheese (from Whole Foods and it could be optional if you dont want to add cheese)



In a deep saucepan over medium heat saute onions and garlic in a few tablespoon of oil. Add the chicken and brown on each side, this should be about 2-3 minutes on each side. Add the chili powder, cumin and salt then pour in the tomato mixture. Cover the pan and bring to a simmer for about 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked. Remove the chicken from the pot and slice thinly. Reserve 1 cup of the sauce on the side then put the chicken back into the sauce and mix well.

In a bowl, whisk the egg whites and heavy cream. Heat a 10 inch skillet over medium-low heat coat the lightly with oil and add just enough egg to coat the bottom of the pan in a very thin layer. Cook for about 1 minutes then put a lid on the pan and cook for 25 more seconds. This part takes a little getting used to. You want the egg to be cook through but still pliable enough to roll. Gently slide the crepe onto a plate.

Lightly oil the bottom of 13x9 baking pan, like a Pyrex pan. Place a crepe on a plate or cutting board and fill it with about 1/3 of the chicken mixture and lightly sprinkle it with cheese. Roll the crepe and place in the baking dish. Do this until all the crepes are filled. I think I may have added too much chicken because I ended up needing an additional baking pan. If there is any chicken left over spoon it around the rolled crepes. Once all the crepes are in the pan top with reserved sauce and sprinkle with any remaining cheese. Cover the pan lightly with foil and bake 20 minutes.

These pictures are pre sauce and cheese. I forgot to take a picture of the after, but you all get the idea.

1 comment:

  1. Cannot wait to make these! I love Mexican too and have been missing it! This is perfect! Love the site!

    ReplyDelete